1. Just a thought for Tigers fans - The Giants won Game 2 of the World Series and held the Tigers to two hits and won 2-0. On October 5, 1962, in Game 2 of the World Series, the Giants held the Yankees in San Francisco to three hits and won 2-0.
- The winning pitcher for the Giants was Jack Sanford and the losing pitcher for the Yankees in Game 2 1962 was Ralph Terry.
- In Game 7, 1962, in San Francisco, the Yankees won, 1-0, and the winning pitcher was Terry, the loser was Sanford.
2. Last night was the 50th postseason game in which the losing team was held to two hits or less and the 24th in World Series play.
3. Madison Bumgarner was brilliant last night mixing his pitches and changing location while striking out eight.
- In the 1st, Bumgarner struck out Austin Jackson looking at an 86 MPH slider.
- In the 1st, Bumgarner struck out Omar Infante swinging at an 88 MPH slider.
- In the 2nd, Bumgarner struck out Avisail Garcia swinging at an 88 MPH slider.
- In the 3rd, Bumgarner struck out Doug Fister swinging at an 87 MPH slider.
- In the 3rd, Bumgarner struck out Austin Jackson swinging at an 91 MPH four seamer.
- In the 5th, Bumgarner struck out Delmon Young swinging at an 75 MPH curveball.
- In the 6th, Bumgarner struck out Gerald Laird swinging at an 89 MPH four seamer.
- In the 6th, Bumgarner struck out Omar Infante swinging at an 89 MPH four seamer.
4. Of the 52 teams to take a 2-0 lead in the World Series, 41 have gone on to win the title including 14 of the last 15.
5. The critical moment in this game came in the 2nd inning when Prince Fielder was thrown out at the plate with no one out. Had Tigers third base coach Gene Lamont made the correct call and held Fielder at third, Jhonny Peralta would have been the batter with runners on second and third and no out.
- During the regular season, with a runner on third and less than two outs, Peralta was successful in getting the runner home 11 times (39%).
- During the season with runners on second and third and no out, Peralta was 7-for-24 (and two walks) with two doubles, one homer, four strikeouts, and seven RBI.
6. Now they know how the Yankees felt - In the ALCS, the Tigers pitchers had a 1.38 ERA and a 0.872 WHIP. In Games 1 and 2 of the World Series, the Giants pitchers had a 1.50 ERA and a 0.778 WHIP.
7. The Tigers always held lead sweeping the Yankees and have never held the lead in losing Games 1 and 2 of the World Series.
8. Striking out much?
- The Giants have struck out 16 times in the first two games of the Series with Hunter Pence, Gregor Blanco and Brandon Belt whiffing three times each. In 14 postseason games, the Giants have whiffed 106 times (7.57 strikeouts per game) with Brandon Belt whiffing 15 times and Hunter Pence whiffing 14 times.
- The Tigers have struck out 17 times in the first two games of the Series with Austin Jackson striking out four times and Omar Infante whiffing three times. In 11 postseason games, the Tigers have whiffed 86 times (7.81 strikeouts per game) with Austin Jackson whiffing 14 times and Omar Infante whiffing 12 times.
9. Time to shut
Postseason shutouts by the Giants
Detroit's postseason games in which they have been shut out: