Entering last night's game Buster Posey was one of MLB's top performers when facing the sinker ball. Of course it's no surprise Lowe relies on his sinker to get outs.
Below you will find a heat map representation of Posey's SLG% against the sinker compared to the rest of Major League Baseball in 2010. When facing the sinker he is second in the league with a .775 SLG%. Only Paul Konerko has a higher SLG% when facing the sinker (.962). We should also note that Posey's AVG when facing the slider is .400 (6th in all MLB).
Meanwhile Posey struggles against the slider. Versus the slider in 2010 Posey has a SLG% of .397 (63rd percentile across MLB) and a AVG of .219.
All that said Derek Lowe still threw approximately the same number of sliders and sinkers to Posey (5 sinkers, 6 Sliders). Posey rarely swings at the first pitch resulting in two first pitch sinkers for called strikes.
Here is a pitch by pitch breakdown of Posey's plate appearances versus Derek Lowe last night:
- Buster Posey grounds into a force out, third baseman Omar Infante to second baseman Brooks Conrad. Aubrey Huff out at 2nd.
Vs Buster Posey (R), Bottom 1, 2 out, Man on First, tied 0-0
- 0-0 - Strike Looking on a 89 MPH Sinker - Over the Plate
- 0-1 - Ball on a 82 MPH Slider - Outside
- 1-1 - Ball on a 81 MPH Slider - Outside
- 2-1 - Ground Ball Fielders Choice on a 90 MPH Sinker - Over the Plate
- Buster Posey singles on a ground ball to left fielder Matt Diaz.
Vs Buster Posey (R), Bottom 4, 0 out, Bases Empty, tied 0-0
- 0-0 - Ball on a 82 MPH Slider - Outside
- 1-0 - Strike Swinging on a 81 MPH Slider - Over the Plate
- 1-1 - Ball on a 79 MPH Slider - Low
- 2-1 - Ground Ball Single on a 89 MPH Sinker - Over the Plate
- Buster Posey doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Rick Ankiel. Buster Posey advances to 3rd, on fielding error by center fielder Rick Ankiel.
Vs Buster Posey (R), Bottom 6, 0 out, Bases Empty, trailing 0-1
- 0-0 - Strike Looking on a 90 MPH Sinker - Low
- 0-1 - Ball on a 83 MPH Changeup - Low
- 1-1 - Ball on a 84 MPH Sinker - Low
- 2-1 - Fly Ball Double on a 81 MPH Slider - Over the Plate